Friday, May 2, 2008

Setting Up Your Magic Shows Part Ii The Great Begining To A Great Magic Show

Writen by J.L. Siefers

The last article described how to create a file for each magic trick that you might use in a magic show. This article will show you what kind of information you need to include in each and every magic trick file you create.

This is an important step, because having this information in a word processing file will be very useful for later steps in stting up your magic show.

Step 2

Each trick file needs to have these sections in this order:

  • Trick Name
  • Items Needed to Perform Trick
  • Setup Notes
  • Brief Description of Effect
  • Performance Script
  • Notes
Trick Name

This section needs little explanation. Use the trick's original name or a name you can easily remember.

Items Needed to Perform Trick

This is one of the most important sections of your file. You need to list in detail every item required to perform the trick. I usually separate out the consumables from the non-consumables. Consumables would include any item that is used up during the performance. For example flashpaper, paper money, and lemons are listed as consumables for my bill in lemon trick. Separating out the consumables means I am less likely to overlook them when packing up my show.

The non-consumables list is a great checklist to make sure you have everything you need to perform the magic trick.

Setup Notes

This section reminds you about any important points to remember when setting up your trick. As tricks come in and out of my performing repertoire, it is a nice reminder of key points I may have forgotten if I haven't performed the magic trick in a while.

Brief Description of Effect

You can use the description from the magic trick's ad or write a brief one yourself. I have found it useful to have a description handy if I am looking to add tricks for an upcoming show. You have a vague idea (or none at all) about what this trick is about.

Performance Script

This section contains the complete script that I use to perform the trick. I write out everything I do and say in the form of a script. This is the baseline for my performance of the trick. Once the script is mastered I am able to freely go on and off script during my performance.

Writing the script is a good way to study the intersection of this magic trick and your performing style. I work on the script all of the time. I view it as a work in progress. It is a good exercise to avoid just using the canned patter that comes with the trick. Try writing your own script out for a magic trick or two. You will be pleasantly surprised with the reactions you get from your audience.

Finally, the script is a nice refresher if you have not performed the trick in a while. I hated having developed a good routine for an effect only to have forgotten most of it because I had not used in a couple of years.

Notes

This section contains any of your thoughts and ideas for the magic trick. Put anything and everything you want to remember or try with the trick. This is a good place to record your insights about why the trick didn't play as well as you thought it would.

The next article explains how to create a very useful checklist for each magic show you do.

Copyright © 2005 J.L. Siefers, All rights reserved.

J.L. Siefers has been performing great magic for years. He has written extensively on many topics in magic. He has shown hundreds of people how to successfully learn to do great magic tricks.

Want to learn to do magic? Click now to get your FREE magic tricks! http://www.Learn-Great-Magic-Tricks.com

Sign up for The Magic Way newsletter! It's FREE: http://www.learn-great-magic-tricks.com/magic-newsletter.html

No comments: